Of all plans of ensuring success, the most certain is Christ’s own – becoming a corn of wheat, falling into the ground and dying … “… if it dies it brings forth much fruit.”
— Amy Carmichael, “Gold Cord”
- Church on the Screen, Sunday @ 10am: Details at https://www.churchonthegreen.online/event/10am-sunday-service-online/
- Joint service @10am: will premiere at 10am on the CBC You Tube channel. You can also download a transcript and subscribe to the podcast.
Watch next week’s notices for news of the return of in-person services.
Join us in prayer for Ethiopia
Following Gill’s intercessions today, you might like to follow up with this link. (Click on the photo on the right for a 4 minute video to help you to pray for Ethiopia).
Advent is almost upon us…
Activities for children of all ages
LOTS is happening with the various children’s ministries…
- Journey daily with Rhiannon as she gets ready for Christmas on the CBC Junior Church channel.
- Christ Centred Christmas Bake off – Tuesday 22nd December: Start preparing now for the first CBC Bake off!! Please confirm entry and get details here: Baking – Corsham Baptist Church. We need Judges!! (Help out, email Cathy D). Prizes to be won for the bake!!
- A Christmas Trail – the Road to Bethlehem – is being organised by our lovely John & Nathalie P and Abi B. Get in touch if you’d like to help out.
- A new Junior Church resource page has been created to pull all these things together. If you have an activity your little ones (pre-school and key-stage 1) have loved and that helps them love Jesus then share it with one of the Junior Church teachers and you can be a published artist, author, baker or musician! If it goes well we hope to start a new theme in the New Year.
So let’s get festive and celebrate the birth of our Lord Jesus Christ who remains sovereign. May these seasons be marked, not by being miserable but how we shine and continue to uphold the Lord our God.
Women’s Bible Study – this Monday!
Study notes are available for the November meeting which will be online only. Contact Kathy or Anne for sign-in details.
Souper Friday – in the news
Thanks to those who have come forward to help, though there is still room to get involved. Did you see our splash in the Gazette and Herald? Full details about this exciting and very relevant ministry can be found here.
Following the Government announcement this week we will be restarting limited in-person meetings from Wednesday. Youth (and their parents) should have details of this already, other ministries including services watch out for an update in next week’s notices.
If you have run out of Veggie Tales and just need to get out and run and maybe even stomp in puddles then read on.
Coming to the streets of Corsham this year is a very special adventure. Follow the clues, collect the stickers, arrive at Bethlehem.
On Saturday 19th December between the hours of 16:00-19:00. Start work on your costume today!
Collect your map and stickers from outside Corsham Baptist Church on Priory Street at 3pm on Monday 14th, Thursday 17th or on the day itself. Or download a map right now.
The small print
Families will have strict guidelines to follow which include Covid safety regulations and the route is designed so that you can start and end at any point therefore avoiding gatherings at any one area.
Our mission partner, Compassion, has organised a carol service with TBN, why not arrange to watch with some friends?
Get all the details here, or the key summary follows:
- Carols with Compassion airs on TBN on 2nd December 2020 at 7:30 pm
- Carols with Compassion will be on Compassion’s Facebook page live on 6th December at 8:00 pm
- A link to the video will be available for you from the 7th December 2020
Updated 15 Dec: Here is the full recording for you to catch up.
Our salvation is thus divided between the death and resurrection of Christ. Sin and death were wiped out by the former and righteousness and life were restored by the latter. We must remember that when in Scripture Christ’s death alone is mentioned, everything to do with the resurrection is included. In the same way, when the resurrection alone is mentioned, everything to do with Christ’s death is included.
— John Calvin, “The Institutes of Christian Religion”
Our Online Advent Calendar, starting 1st December
Looking for something to encourage and build you up as we move into the Advent season? Starting on December 1st, Church on the Green are putting an online advent calendar on our website (https://churchonthegreen.online) including scripture and a short devotional video to bless you each day.
All welcome! For more information, watch the trailer below.
Jesus was an initiator in relationships. He acted immediately to welcome whoever crossed his path.
— Gerald Sittser, “Love One Another”
(quoting Jim Elliot): “Wherever you are, be all there. Live to the hilt every situation you believe to be the will of God.”
— Elisabeth Elliot, “Keep A Quiet Heart”
This post by kathylarkman was originally published at GRACE PLACE
Not too late to get with your study buddies. Read through Genesis 12-20:18 to be able to get more out of the study on Monday!
Women’s Ministry Team
This divine restoration of the created order, foreseen by the prophets, is not completely ahead of us. The promised future landed in this world two thousand years ago, when Jesus announced that He was starting to fulfil the old prophecies (Lk 4:16-21). This is why Jesus healed people. His healings weren’t stunts. They were a preview of coming attractions.
— Ray Ortlund, “The Gospel: How the Church Portrays the Beauty of Christ”